HIV could not trigger signs early on. Individuals who do have signs could mistake them for the flu or mono. Early signs of HIV are known as acute retroviral syndrome. The signs could embody:
- Stomach cramps, nausea, or vomiting.
- Enlarged lymph nodes within the neck, armpits, and groin.
- Muscle aches and joint ache.
- Pores and skin rash.
- Sore throat.
- Weight reduction.
These first signs can vary from delicate to extreme and often disappear on their very own after 2 to three weeks. However many individuals haven’t got signs or they’ve such delicate signs that they do not discover them at this stage.
After the early signs go away, an contaminated particular person could not have signs once more for a few years. After a sure level, signs reappear after which stay.
Untreated HIV an infection progresses in phases. These phases are primarily based in your signs and the quantity of the virus in your blood.
Later signs could embody:
- Diarrhea or different bowel modifications.
- Lack of urge for food or unexplained weight reduction.
- Dry cough or shortness of breath.
- Nail modifications.
- Night time sweats.
- Swollen lymph nodes within the neck, armpits, and groin.
- Ache when swallowing.
- Confusion, hassle concentrating, or persona modifications.
- Repeated outbreaks of chilly sores or genital herpes sores.
- Tingling, numbness, and weak spot within the limbs.
- Mouth sores or a yeast an infection of the mouth (thrush).
Signs in ladies and kids
HIV could also be suspected when a lady has at the very least one of many following:
- Greater than three vaginal yeast infections in 1 12 months that are not associated to the usage of antibiotics
- Recurrent pelvic inflammatory illness (PID)
- Irregular Pap check or cervical most cancers
Youngsters who’ve HIV typically have completely different signs (for instance, delayed development or an enlarged spleen) than teenagers or adults.